Reflections (2019)

Me, the Writer

What have you improved as a writer?

My ability to tell a story. I have learned how to convey a plot and how not to just spill onto the page without breaking up the piece. My new favourite thing is how I can bring down special lines and gut punches and sucker punch an audience. Audience abuse is my thing apparently, so structure has been a huge improvement. As for grammar, yup, still a struggle. But I am getting better! I have better grasp of where to put all the funky little dashes and semi thingies. Finally, I have improved in terms of style, voice, ideas, and genre. The four come together to help me create piece that are uniquely mine. People recognize pieces that are mine now, with their darker tones and objective narration.

How would you explain your voice?

When I write in third person I like to be very detached, like a casual observer in whatever world I want to create. Whenever I take a first person point, I like to get deep into their perspective, even if it isn’t a nice one. It is fun to be other people, or at least an approximation of what I think other people are like.

What advice would you give future writers?

Try weird things. That’s where the fun is. Tell us a love story, sure. But tell us about how a bee fell in love with cactus because of its superior spikes. Even if it is so off the wall it scares you, if you can work in a central theme or message, you can use the bizarre to make a point.

What are your future goals?

To staying writing, to keep using this blog. I’ve really hit my stride, and it would be a shame to lose it now. 

Me, the Blogger

What do you think of your blog?

I love it. I feel like it really is my best foot forward in this digital world. It is my style, my design. I’m lucky to have a space to speak and express as I see fit. It is my brain put to ‘paper’.

On the negative though, there are formatting errors I am not able to figure out how to fix. Another issue is the aesthetic, as much as I love it, it really boxes me in stylistically. 

What student blogs impress you?

Abhay 

A beautiful blog that gives introspection and unique perspectives. Abhay writes from a lyrical, passionate point of view, and it isn’t one that we get to see enough of. 

Emily

A heartwarming Gothic. She hides such sweet little messages under layers of well written horror. Emily bends convention and traditional images to her will, and brings her audience along for the ride.

Liza

Reflective, and personal. She can put emotions that I struggle to out into words, into paragraphs. Reading her work helps give voice to quiet thoughts and unknown concepts. 

What professional blogs impress you?

Many of the blogs I frequent are online web series, just due to the easier form of access. I love blogs that focus on film and the sociology of pop culture.

I also frequent woman’s publications, which are like multi-party blogs. Yes, I acknowledge they can be shallow, but if you can find ones focused on empowerment, you can find valuable tips on confidence, communication, and yes, how to do a good smokey eye. 

Me, the Student

Any ‘Aha’ moments?

Yes, the guest presenters we had helped me feel confidence in my writing. Here are all these people who have succeeded in their aims, who have gone on to do what they desire in life. I’m young, and I have a fatalistic view of becoming another cog in the machine. So to realize that is not my predetermined fate was so refreshing. Another ´Aha’ moment was meeting Alice, from Bow View Manor. Her story of invasion and then her eventual escape really stuck with me, as we can read about history but it is rare we experience it. 

Reading accomplishments?

The freedom to read what I want. When I was in English diploma courses, there were reading lists and requirements. This semester however, I got to read what I wanted, not matter how far from the list. For example, rereading Slaughterhouse Five, which is definitely the best book I read all semester. There is so much power in just doing what I want, its shallow, but freeing. As a writer, I use what I read for stylistic and creative inspiration. ´Stealing´ from other writers is the best way to build up ones own style. 

What is next?

As I go into university, I plan on learning and writing at a similar or increased pace. I want the joy of picking up knowledge I acquired in this class to follow me forward.  As a writer I will be using this new learning to better myself. 

Me, the Fan

This semester I fell in love with gothics. You could see this from the writers I followed to the writers seminar I did. 

The guest speakers we had in class were incredible, all from unique and amazing perspectives. I was huge fan of Sam Beaver’s presentation, it felt so free and accepting. I really appreciate seeing established writers talk about how they made it to where they are today. I’m following their work and seeing how they continue to make their mark on a competitive world. 

I also took great inspiration from those around me, I was in a room 90 minutes a day with some brilliant people, it would be a crime not to steal from them. I took gothic inspiration from Emily, passion from Liza, and reflection from Abhay. Everyday I could listen to a mass sharing of ideas and I adsorbed as much as I could. 

My writers seminar was a fantastic source of inspiration. I was so happy I got to do Nightvale writers, but if I had to another writer, I’d consider Daniel McIvor because I”m in love with the work of his I’ve seen. 

Here is an emulation from my writers seminar: 

You look down to your legs, slightly stubbled. It was winter, you had other priorities. You were tired. So tired. So very tired.

You look down again. The hair has grown. Is Growing. It’s not hair. You can tell.

It spirals. Curls. Reaches out. Clutches the walls. Inching forward, taking you with it. It is still growing. Growing like a tree branch under timelapse. You see knots and leaves appear. Your legs the stumps to this hairy tree. Movement is hard, hindered by the mass of botany.

The air smells of new spring. Of flowers. Of dirt.

The smell grow stronger, as these thin twigs wrap around, cycling up your body. You reach out for help, the arm becoming trapped in it’s useless position.

Your eyes incased next. Complete darkness. Cozy darkness, how long do you spend here? Do you know? Time slips away. Why didn’t you just shave, possibly saving yourself from this leafy prison?

Silence.

With no direction, silence.

Then foot steps.

Then the strike of an axe. A Five Bladed Axe with a SkinElixir Lubrastrip for a smooth hit with 0% irritation.

The branches are cleaved away, you are free.

You see your saviour, a goddess.

She’s got it.

Yeah baby she’s got it.

She’s your Venus.

Your fire.

Your desire.

This message is brought to you by Venus by Gillette.

Me, the Critic

Camino Muerto 

The title of this piece translates to ´dead road’ referring to the form of the afterlife the main character travels through. Within the piece an unknown character is taken on a journey down a long highway through an endless desert, until they reach their own grave. My intended audience was my peers, as I was very proud of this piece and wanted to share it. I wanted to write a story that felt different. Where I found inspiration was a variety of strange sources. For example, the whole piece is allusion to the Greek myth of Charon and Cerberus, the guards of Hades. Instead of a boat, Charon drives the car from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Cerberus is a wild coyote roaming the wastes. I also received inspiration from my favourite band,  The Growlers, and their beachy-gothic aesthetic. Stylistically, I told the story directly to the reader, to make them feel like the main character. Ex, ¨You look up, you see his face, you look down.¨ I also didn´t ground myself into reality, which opened up a lot of doors when writing, like setting hell at a bar. I realized from this piece that I love telling stories in this vein. Going forward, I will credit this piece for helping me find my voice. It is honestly my pride and joy on this blog.

Wardrobe

The title for this piece is pretty self-explanatory, it is a personal narrative on the time I played the Wardrobe in Beauty and the Beast. The story follows one night I had on stage as the character. I honestly wrote this for me, as it was such a happy memory I just wanted to capture it and never let it go. The character´s theatrics helped create the pieces heightened drama. Her high camp was a major influence. I will miss her. Stylistically, I over described certain details of that night, the ones that stood out to me. I also used descriptive language that was way over the top, ¨if Marie Antoinette and Ikea had tryst.” I had such a good time writing this piece, it was just enjoyable to relive one of my best memories, my best moments. My heart gets a little sad when I read it again, knowing I´ll never feel that way on this stage ever again. I will miss you Madame de la Grande Bouche.